Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pearl and Rhinestone Parure

I'm continuing to teach myself new jewelry making techniques. This set was an exercise in threading multi-strand necklaces, in making eye loops from headpins for pearl drops, and in using epoxy clay. I was really worried about using the clay, but I needed a way to stick on a wire loop from which I could attach the teardrop pearls to the bottom of the rhinestone components (there is no place to attach anything otherwise). I hate using glue, because I find it either sticks too much (when I'm applying it) or too little (when it chips off later). This despite experimenting with several jeweler's glues. But I think I've found a solution with the epoxy clay. The pearl dangles seem to be very securely attached now.

Below is the result (with a sneak peek of the trim on my almost finished francaise). A necklace, earrings, and a pin. It is inspired by this 1810s painting of Empress Marie Louise.

Pearl and Rhinestone Parure

The Accessory: Pearl and Rhinestone Parure
Historical Period: Inspired by an 1810s necklace, but I will wear this with a variety of late 1700s and early 1800s formal outfits
Outfit It Accessorizes: I am planning on using this with both 18th C and Regency
Materials Used: Glass pearl rounds and teardrops, rhinestone slide beads, beading wire, crimp tubes, crimp tube covers, one box clasp, jump rings, epoxy clay, earring findings, headpins
Techniques Used: Bead stringing on wire, attaching a box clasp with folded crimps, wrapping headpin loops, attaching rings using epoxy clay

No comments:

Post a Comment