Sunday, November 3, 2013

Ivory Silk Fan

Bam! I've had this cut out but unfinished since last spring. But not anymore! Upon seeing that the November challenge in Trystan's accessories-a-long was fans, I knew I had to finish this UFO. So I pulled out the silk fabric, sewed on the sequins, and glued the leaf to the fan sticks.

Finished fan
Finished Fan

Leaf before attaching the fan sticks
Fan After Sewing on Sequins

The Accessory: Ivory silk fan
Historical Period: Late 1700s (for use with 1780s and 1790s outfits)
Outfit It Accessorizes: I am planning on using this with my navy zone front
Materials Used: Ivory silk taffeta, plastic fan sticks repurposed from a wedding favor fan, screen printing ink, an iron on transfer, 6 mm sequins, cotton thread (for sewing on the sequins), and gem tac glue (for attaching to the fan sticks)
Techniques Used: Stenciling fabric, attaching iron-on transfers, sewing on sequins, gluing on fan sticks

(PS--if you want to make your own fan of this style, I have a tutorial posted here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment